Responsible for managing the daily operation of the department including but not limited to; planning, forecasting, developing and coordinating all information related to advertising. The Assistant Buyer will partner with the Buyer developing and driving business strategies that meet or exceed the department’s financial goals. They will provide information and ideas to develop assortments, key items, promotional strategies, growth opportunities and store assortments that are viable while providing an exciting in-store customer experience. The Assistant Buyer communicates with vendors and agents and serves as the key department contact for all stores.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide analysis to summarize and analyze weekly sales data, recommend appropriate action to Buyer
• Identify business opportunities and risks through analyzing sales performance and competitive landscape
• Demonstrate an understanding of the product trends, historical data and departments input at the category level to manage assortments opportunities and risks
• Understand the competitive environment; proactively seek market knowledge through exposure to the competition
• Strategically partner with Buyer planning merchandise promotions and financial-markdowns
• Responsible for preparing all advertising-samples, ROI’s, meetings and signs; proof ads
• Function as back-up to the Buyer when they are out of the office on overseas buying trips
• May have direct responsibility for one or more merchandise categories
• Assist Buyer with strategic promotion planning following the master retail calendar
• Be an integral partner with visual merchandising; responsible for all schematic planning, shelf talker and signs. Evaluate effectiveness and address concerns as needed.
• Attend strategic planning and best seller meetings and in Buyers absence present information to the group
• Actively work with vendors and organize claims preparation. Follow through monthly to resolve outstanding issues.
• Support Buyer through the product development life cycle
• Responsible for all SKU maintenance-set-up & updates for the department
• Sample management including unpacking and sample house placement
• BA/BS degree or commensurate work experience required
• Minimum 2-3 years experience as an Assistant Buyer with a multi unit retailer
• Demonstrates excellent listening, written and oral communication skills, effectively and clearly communicates reflecting an appropriate sense of urgency
• Demonstrates the ability to handle multiple priorities; is able to work autonomously and demonstrates good decision marking judgment.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
• Experience with Merchandising software systems; AS400, Brio
• Solid systems skills; Microsoft; Excel, Word
• Strong business math skills
Cost Plus World Market is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls or agencies, please.